Large companies and industries require encryption software to keep their data and information safe. Such businesses use software to keep confidential and sensitive information safe, for example, from competitors or unauthorized individuals. But is sensitive information just limited to businesses?
Our personal information is also sensitive, such as our name, date of birth, and where we live. The online chats we have with others and the emails we send out are also a part of the information that should ideally remain confidential. So, encryption software is not just limited to the corporate sphere but can also be used for personal information.
When looking for encryption software for home, personal use, or business use, keep an eye out for software programs that use the following algorithms:
- Triple DES – This stands for Triple Data Encryption Standard. Although this is an older algorithm, it is still stronger than regular DES as it uses a key length of 112 bits.
- AES – Advanced Encryption Standard is the newer version of Triple DES. Depending on the size of your data, AES uses key lengths of 128, 192, and 256 bits to keep data secure.
- Blowfish – Instead of encrypting data in one long key length, this algorithm breaks data into 64-bit key lengths; each length is then encrypted individually.
- Twofish – Twofish is the successor of Blowfish. This algorithm can encrypt data in up to 256-bit key lengths at a faster pace.
- RSA Security – RSA security makes use of two keys: a public key that is used to encrypt data and a private key that is used to decrypt data. This makes it harder for hackers to get through data.
Some of the best encryption software that makes use of the above algorithms include:
- BitLocker – This is Microsoft’s BitLocker software that can be accessed through Windows Central. This software is built into Windows 10 and above. It is easy to use, free, and is made to encrypt your whole drive automatically.
- Last Pass – Last Pass helps to manage passwords and protect your data. It is a free service with in-app purchases. It is fairly easy to use and includes extensions to main browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- File Vault 2 – This encryption software is mainly meant for Mac users. You can easily download it on your computer; this software uses AES 128 encryption to keep your data safe.
- AnchorMyData – a reliable and tech savvy company that has a lot of easy to understand file encryption options.